Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Buds, Buns and Berry, (that's Mary Berry)

Oh my goodness, how time does fly. Still, never fear, I am still around and beginning to get back into the swing of some sort of routine in the studio. Slowly to begin with, but work needs to be getting under way again, before I forget how to draw, and look at my palette in a curious, 'I know you, don't I?' sort of a way.

Summer also seems to have decided to go on a little holiday this year, as the last week has been somewhat dull, breezy and just a little chilly. In June! Well, pushing on regardless here at Squirrel HQ we had a couple of workshops anyway. The focus this time around was on adding your own Sammy Snail to a painting and the summer flower garden, and as my 'Albertine' rose decided now was the time to put on her best frock, we painted some of the buds.

This little snail shell was found in the garden, (without snail)
Popped him on a clematis leaf to demonstrate how to add  extra bits and bobs to a painting

The workshop on painting snail shells and feathers was so much fun. This was the first time I had added this to my workshop schedule, but we all enjoyed it so much, I might just do that again. here's my effort on the day. Is that a cream bun or a snail parked on that leaf?


Rosa 'Albertine'
Sprawling all over the hedge and amongst the clematis.

The buds are to die for


“But he who dares not grasp the thorn Should never crave the rose.” ― Anne Brontë



For the occasion I also baked my favourite Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe, (thank you Mary Berry). The simplest of all in one methods, I was able to do this one myself without incurring the wrath of 'Husband' who scowls at me whenever he thinks I am doing a little too much. I feel like a well cared for museum exhibit.

So, back to those buds. The colour of Albertine buds is really hard to describe. The tightly closed bud appears as quite a deep peachy-pink, almost red colour. And yet, as it opens, the colour of the petals change almost entirely to a pale pink. Being quite a rampant specimen with ferocious thorns and arching stems, I have this one well reigned in by the fence, near some apple trees, but as she likes where she is very much, really goes for it and puts on a really good display. If you go anywhere near the vicinity, you get a great waft of spicy, rose fragrance. delicious.


A good comparison with the tightly closed bud to the left,
 this semi-open bud is paler


My life is part humor, part roses, part thorns.
Bret Michaels

As always, before the workshop, I worked on a sketch and some colour notes, to get a better grasp of the subject. Generally, I like to be quite spontaneous at my workshops, as this gives a personal feel and of course, if something in the garden is screaming, 'PICK ME', you can change the programme.

Mixes

Permanent Rose and Lemon Yellow
Mix of Permanent Rose and Lemon Yellow with a touch of Perylene Maroon

Permanent Rose with Sennelier Yellow Light.

Ultramarine Light and Sennelier Yellow Light with a touch of Perylene Maroon

Borrowing an idea from artist and fellow blogger Billy Showell

Billy uses a mat with the names of the colours on it to show which ones are which.

I probably won't use all these colours.

With these palettes, all I do is wipe out the washes from the middle, leaving the paint blobs at the edges.

Ready for next time!

Having a play with the mixes
The sketch of the bud and stem, with a few leaves thrown in is already drawn out.


And a couple of practise washes with different shades




Tracing of drawing.
Just in case I fancy making something more of it.

Now here's a final thought. What do you do with a painting that has gone wrong? Well, in my case, you cut it about a bit, finish it off and make it beautiful again, and stick it in a friend's sketchbook.

Working a mistake.

I really liked these flowers, so have cut them out, added some colour notes,
and now it's ready for the next sketchbook 
   



1 comment:

Claire said...

Great post Jarnie, glad to see you bouncing back. I really love the sketchbook bramble. Take care <3