Friday, 11 September 2015

Fade to Grey

Crikey folks, I can't believe we are nearly half way through September already. Where on earth did 2015 go? With autumn workshops here at Squirrel HQ off and running and paintings being finished for exhibitions next year, I rather fancy in the blink of an eye it will be 'that' time of year again, (yes, that's right, Christmas).

Not to let the grass grow, it's been time for Squirrel to venture forth into new territories too. After a prompt boot up the virtual backside by my good friend and fellow artist and blogger Vicki Lee Johnston, I finally took the plunge and headed on over to Instagram, set up an account (find me as Sketchbook Squirrel), and duly got snapping on my phone and tablet. Pinterest has also proved a worthy seam of interest, so you can find me scuffling around there too. 

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

It was a time of seed collection last week, and I am continuing to find some lovely things in the garden that I am really looking forward to planting again this year. Trialling some new annuals has been fun, with lots of really pretty flowers, particularly the little trumpets of the acid lemon/white nicotine flowers that have been on the go for months. Only this morning there was talk of an enormous moth the size of a bat taking a shine to nicotiana plants, so I will be keeping a watch to see if we get one. We get bats dodging about in the garden so it's not a completely outrageous notion.  To read more on this one, and see an extraordinary little film of said creature, head to the BBC for a little video and there's also an article from the Telegraph.


Convulvulus Hawkmoth

These palm-sized moths migrate through Europe in the early autumn
Conservationists are calling for us Brits to keep a beady eye out for them

Image c/o The Telegraph


Elsewhere, there is a new painting under way. If you recall a little while ago, I told you I was going all pink and purple again, (a bit like the new cushions in our sitting room, but that's another story) and apart from a small venture off piste into browns with a poppy sketch, the pinks are back. Oh happy day! Sneaky peek at the subject time


Love the ruffly, fading edges and subtle colour variation of pinks, purples and palest grey in the dying petals.

The centre detail will add a nice point of focus.

Hopefully, with this last one I will have all five of the paintings I plan to enter for the SBA next year. Working from photos, colour notes and sketches taken at the time will be helpful but I sense this one will be a challenge.


Perfect Palette

These have been lovely to use and I am happy to get back to this beautiful selection by the ever reliable DS

Just couldn't resist this from my favourite Ted Baker 
A major treat from 'Husband' and the lining is such a delicious cornucopia

Certainly don't want to attract any moths to these particular blooms. 



4 comments:

shevaun said...

Scrumptious colour, Jarnie! I'm looking forward to seeing your painting!

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Yummy colours Jarnie, good to see you on Instagram. Mind you I am way behind with my blogging, hope to catch up soon!

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Oh well you know Shevaun, I can't resist a good purple.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks for the push to get going there Vicki and I am sure you will be back and blogging in good time. Look forward to it. x