Monday, 30 November 2015

The Time for Home


“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, 


for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: 


it is the time for home.” 


Edith Sitwell



The conker has gone. Having finished this little piece, it's now winging it's way to my printer for scanning. Just for my own collection to start with, and I'm not sure if I'm going to put it in for exhibition yet, but it's been fun to do, and one of those pieces I could have carried on playing around with for ages. All those lovely wrinkly bits and subtle colour changes, allowing the watercolour to go it's own way.


Here's the finished piece
'Gone Conkers' 18 x 18cm Jarnie Godwin 


Compared to one of my earlier 'masterpieces', I think I can say I have come on a bit, and improved my technique in places. It's always good to take a look back at some of these early pieces as it reminds us how far we've come and what we are capable of now.


  

"Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. 

One fails forward toward success."


And an earlier 'masterpiece'


In a way, it was very homely piece, or rather it reminded me of home. Not just the warmth and comforting gentleness of the browns and reds, but also that conkers remind me of home and the crisp autumn walks through the forest to collect them. Happy days.

And it's onto the next one. I'm thinking pink again, and have been revisiting some of the colour charts I made a while ago. Whenever I'm a bit stuck, I always go back through my old sketchbooks and colour charts, to see if the lightbulb switches on with the ghost of an idea. For some reason, I always find myself hovering over the purples and pinks. Of course, it should be a trawl through the supermarket or garden centre in search of something lovely, and I do that too, but I can't resist the colours.



A riot of pinks along with a collage of inspiration


Colour charts and playing around with the new colours really has to be one of my favourite things. Putting together new blends and seeing how they behave on the paper to create a gorgeous effect is so satisfying, and to help me on the way, I often put together picture collages to let me really see the colours I am trying to achieve.


"Everything has beauty,

but not everyone sees it"
 
Confucius



Some of the colours of autumn as we head into winter

Oh, for those spring greens again



Elsewhere, and still on the theme of colours and collages, here's a sneak preview of some of the work going into the creation of the new Squirrel HQ website. With lots of delicious colours, and a warm, friendly feel, it's going to be a real home, from home, and the welcome mat will be well and truly out.



PINK!

One of my favourites, as you know, and making a bold appearance in some of these ideas.

And is that a new logo I spy?

Perhaps

Well, I wonder where they got the inspiration for that scheme from?






   

2 comments:

Vicki Lee Johnston said...

Your new website looks very interesting! Enjoy playing with colour and taking your time while home and family come to the fore.
It's nice to slow the pace down and see what unfolds, I am really enjoying taking my time to savour things.

Sketchbook Squirrel said...

Thanks Vicki, it's a new direction entirely for me, but one I am looking forward to.
I'm enjoying the slower pace without the 24 hour lifestyle of some of my social media. I guess I must be getting into hibernation mode x Enjoy your slower pace and savour the moments.