Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Springing for Springtime

It's a gorgeous spring day here at Squirrel HQ. The birds are singing, the sun is shining and many of the lovely spring blooms are brightening every corner of the garden. February is a funny old month. Often the coldest month of the year here in Britain, there can also be days of glorious sunshine when the snow, wind and icy mornings feel like another time. But, we can also be caught out, and the frost, snow and ice come back again.

It must be because of their dogged determination to bloom whatever the world throws at them, that I really admire early spring flowers. No matter how cold that wind, or how much they are buried by snow, they still come up. Good for them I say.

With this in mind I decided to give the little viola a centre stage for my next project. With flowers that are just an inch or so across, violas blooming en masse with their little faces all turning towards the sun, are a joy, but one on it's own might just be a little underwhelming. Why not make it BIG?


Starting softly

Delicate, almost see through petals in pastel shades needed gentle washes and glazes

Building up

Stronger hues for the yellow staining and darker blue petals added to the form and dimension 

The fine details

I loved adding the characteristic veining to the lower petals.

I called this process 'tattooing' the petals 

Putting the face on

Bright Blue Viola

With the complicated centre complete,
the Viola had put it's game face on and was nearly ready to take on the world
This was a great little project for February, and only took a few days to complete. With a limited palette of just a couple of blues and yellows, with some red thrown in for the shadow tones I really enjoyed taking a simple approach, and using a delicate touch to get that fluttery and fragile appearance. Having enjoyed this one so much myself, I've decided to make Bright Blue Viola the first of my new 2017 tutorials on the website. 




No comments: